Tuesday, December 22, 2009

What do I need to bring with me on my first day working on an offshore oil rig?

oil rig new employee faqsWhat do I need to bring with me on my first day working on an offshore oil rig?
I work on an oilrig, depends on what job you are doing. Your company you are employed with should have given you all the PPE for your job (hardhat, overalls or working clothes, hard toecapped boots/shoes, gloves, safety glasses, etc) , so take all that.


If you are working inside as an office worker or a steward, then you need only day to day clothes and `lazy` clothes (such as tracksuit bottoms and tea shirts, or what ever you feel comfortable in for when your off shift (i take 2 pairs of tracksuit bottoms and teashirts for my trip as the laundry on board is very efficant, also slippers), remember oilrigs arnt for fashon gurus.


If you are going to be working outside as a deckhand, roustabout, roughneck, rigger, etc, then you will need a few sets of warm clothing as well as all above, that you arnt affraid to get dirty.


Toiletries of coarse but dont worry if you forget anything, the bond sells most stuff you need, as well as sweets, cigarettes and other stuff (aftershaves and perfumes, clothes, etc.)


dont go ape taking stuff with you , as there are weight restictions at the heliport of 12kg per bag and there VERY strict about this, any more and you will have to split it into more bags.


what rig you going to? if you want get in touch with me by email and ill help you with any question i can.


Also one more thing, i see someone below my post has mentioned that its a harsh environment for women because of mens attitudes, i would totaly disregard that comment as its no difference out here for a woman than working on ANY job on the beach such as an office , shop or warehouse. There are around 250 people on the same rig as me and about 30 or so are women, its not anymore sexist here than in any other work place. some people have got some weird ideas of offshore workers and there lives . lol.What do I need to bring with me on my first day working on an offshore oil rig?
nail varnish?





Oil rigs must be one of the most harsh working places. It is dangerous, crowded, no privacy and little entertainments etc. I do not know many women that can survive it. I do not say so because I think for one moment woman are soft and incapable, but because of the traditions and attitudes of guys on the rigs, any woman will find living there incredibly difficult. (more so than a guy)
condoms?
yourself lol
I don't think YOU'D need to take anything - women aren't allowed on them are they ! ! !
steel toed workboots are pretty common


how about changes of clothes.


have you asked any of the rig workers?
Plasters and a good sense of humour.
Deck chair and arm bands x
A life jacket you wouldnt want to drown in a sea of semen!!
  • camera
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment